Stumbling thru life w/Grace

Monday, April 18, 2005

Ending Season & Week-end Recaps.

Our hot AZ days are coming quickly! My kids christened the pool sunday all day. Although I think they are more then a month premature. (It feels like a great big giant glass of ice water, that is full of ice cubes.) Although it looks inviting and beautiful, it would chill me to the bone. They had a great time playing in it. We bar-b-qued and had my son and his girlfriend over too.

Saturday night, the X babysat a few hours for me, as we had to go to the Child Crisis Center benefit at Gainey Ranch Resort in Scottsdale. Their theme (as I think it is every year) is A Night in the Tropics. Dress is accordingly.

I didn't really feel up to the whole routine of make-up, hair, and dressing up. But I'm glad I went. It is for a wonderful cause, and I enjoy the people watching. They usually have a silent auction, for which I warned the hubby and prepared myself. The Tempe Governors Ball silent auction cost us a small fortune, when he went a little crazy bidding, and yes I did my share on a couple of items.

We were both good. When we would come upon jewelry, and he'd ask if I liked it, my reply was always NO. That wasn't easy for me, but necessary. He bid ONCE on one item, a two night stay at one of the resorts with a champagne breakfast. As far as I know, we were outbid, and didn't win. This IS a good thing.

They also have raffle ticket purchases, usually for trips, or jewelry. We usually pick up a few of those, although have never won anything. (But that's tax deductable!;-) The dinner at this event, in my opinion is/was sub par, but then again we are talking about charity. The interesting thing about dining this year, was that we were seated, at the channel 12 table. I don't watch channel 12 news, but had seen the commercials, so I at least knew who Lin Sue Cooney and Mark Curtis were, when they introduced themselves to us.

When we sat down, I was comfortable, and admittedly slightly bored. I remember looking around the table, and thinking how all the woman at our table were so pretty and their make-up perfect. (I know, shallow thought, but hey, we all have them from time to time) This was before finding out that we were at channel 12's table. Then it made perfect sense. I wanna be on TV! So I can have perfect make-up! That was the interesting part of the evening. With my neck in the shape it was in, we couldn't dance, so we did end up cutting it short.

I won't talk about the conversations I eavesdropped on, as much as I would like to. I don't want to invade these (semi?) celebrities' privacy. Overall they all seemed like very nice people. Even if sitting in their presence made me feel nervous, and like I didn't belong there. I think I introduced myself (mumbling nervously) as "Kevin's wife, Tamber". I know, not exactly a woman of the milleneum, more like of the 50's. Eh. I can live with it.

Lat week-end we went to a party JUST for the parties sake, and to be with good friends! And we both had a blast! Shelly, one of "my homegirls" and her significant other, thru a costume 1800's, western, murder mystery dinner party.

And the costumes were great! We each had a role to play, that we had gotten with the invitation, and there were 5 scenes, that we would read as we went. When everyone talked, it was in character. After a few champagnes, it was even funnier! Neither I, nor Kevin ended up being the murderer. That ended up being Shelly, the madam of the local whore house.

My role was Helena Handcart. (Hell in a handcart, hehehehe) The matriarch of the handcart Cattle ranch. Who had just buried my 13 sons, who were killed in a shootout. Kevin was Elias Truist Heath (or He lieth thru his teeth) The up-and-coming heartthrob gunfighter. We all got into our roles, and had a great time! I got a few pics. I'll post eventually, whenever I get my shit together, and get them to Rachel.

It was a lot of fun, and I thank Shelly and Will for inviting us! You can buy these murder mystery theme dinner party games at the different game stores you see in malls. I think they are called Game Daze, or somthing like that. My next dinner party I would like to do one of those. I'm looking at either the Rockstar one or the Roaring 20's. Both sound like they would be fun! And can be ordered at http://howtohost.fanhq.com which is part of www.decipher.com

I love playing dress-up. Halloween is an honored tradition in our home. Even for myself and the hubby. Who has LEARNED to enjoy dressing up. (He doesn't have a choice) LOL Costumes are adults way to be kids again, and I'm never giving it up! This last years Halloween party, my costume won! And yes I was very proud, and happy over it! I went as the maid from Rocky Horror Picture Show, and pulled it off to a tee, if I do say so myself. (I should have, I spent hours on the make-up and assembling the costume.)

This Wednesday we are going to the opening of the new Mesa Arts Center. (champagne! my favorite!) But as the hot weather sets in, the different charity events, openings and happenings will come to an end for another season. I love going to them as I see it as another opportunity to play dress-up. And the charity events, are always for good causes. (ie; hospitals, shelters, child crisis centers, etc.)

But as the snowbirds head home, the waits for resturaunt seatings go down. The time spent on the roads, on freeways also goes down. And the pool opens for use. And I'm looking forward to a nice even tan. (skin cancer be damned) My motto; everything in moderation. Including laying out for that sun kissed look. ;-)

9 Comments:

  • ooh, you've just inspired a dinner party of my own....plans.

    By Anonymous claudblog, at 6:19 PM  

  • That second party sounds crazy and fun.

    My mom won't swim until the pool hits 80 degrees. I can't believe people can already be swimming. Ah, Canada.

    By Blogger Jay, at 8:13 PM  

  • Ohhh! I have heard of those sorts of dinner parties! The only way I'll ever get to one is to host it mahself! My friends are so few that there wouldn't be anyone else to host it! LMAO

    I definately want to see pictures! ;-)

    I love people watching too, every chance I get! Lin Sue Cooney eh? Yer dining with the big boys now aren't ya! lol

    My kids will swim right now too. Frankly, my dear, I don't do cold water. I will only swim when the water is refreshing in the AZ heat, yet not turn me into a popsicle, thanks. Sounds like they had a blast though! Mine are already starting in..when can we go to grandmas to swim! *ugh*

    By Blogger Jade, at 8:49 PM  

  • Claudblog~
    You'll have a lotta fun! Even the hosts don't know who the murderer is, unless they cheat and peak!

    Jay~
    I don't blame your mom! I cannot do it either. From the sounds of some of your parties Jay, I think you would enjoy a good costume murder mystery! Served with martini's of course!;-)

    Jade~
    When you throw one, you have to make sure to invite people you KNOW will come, and not cancel. You need usually 8 total guests, and each is famalier with their role prior to getting there.

    I'm going to have to get you and your kids to come over this summer for swimming! (When the weather hits the really HOT mark, and the pool warms up to bearable.;-)

    It was fun getting the opportunity to set at that table with the news people! At least my son Robby was impressed! LOL.

    And I may be able to dress the part of a thoroughbred, but I'm just a mule in horse's harness! and the other fun cliche' You can take the girl outta redneck country, but you can't take the redneck outta the girl! ;-)

    By Blogger 3rd Times a Charm, at 11:54 PM  

  • Bah ... those people are regular people just like you and me. They read the news off of a teleprompter and look pretty for a living...

    Don't be shy around them ... unless it is Liz Habib... who I think dropped off of the radar... but was really into herself... if you know what I mean .. hehe

    By Blogger Rich, at 10:02 AM  

  • I'm really big on Halloween too! I'm already trying to decide what to do this year....I'm hopeless. ;)

    I've never been to one of those murder mystery dinners, but it sounds like it would be a lot of fun!

    By Blogger Webmiztris, at 6:03 PM  

  • Rich~
    I do know your right, and would be the first to say so. Unfortunately, what my intellect can tell me, doesn't always coincide with how I may react emotionally.
    You're going to have to fill me in on who Liz Habib is. I'm not famalier with her name.
    On a side note, wouldn't it be great to just look good and read a temeprompter for a living? Sounds great anyway!;-)

    Webmiztres~
    Too FUN! Any ideas for this next year? I have to admit, I'm usually not thinking on it this early, although I had decided what I was doing this LAST year, right after the Halloween the year before that.
    That year I was Madusa (spelled wrong?) Tha lady with the snakes coming outta her head. I had fun w/that one too.:-)
    You just gave me an idea for a post in October. Asking for past Halloween costumes. Might give me some new dieas as well!:-)

    By Blogger 3rd Times a Charm, at 10:36 PM  

  • I love Halloween also, and have always wanted to attend one of those murder mystery parties. They sound like a blast. Post pics!

    Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I get the feeling I'll be reading yours on a regular basis.

    By Anonymous Che, at 1:25 AM  

  • Thank you Che! I'll be reading yours extensively, to review it, for completing the best of the bestest of Meme's! :-)

    By Blogger 3rd Times a Charm, at 12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


<< # Bitch Club ? >>

« ? dry heat! # »